Kersh Law Firm agrees with most people when it comes to child abuse being a horrible crime. In fact, the firm would go so far as to say that there are only a handful of crimes that are worse than abusing a child. And this is something the U.S. government takes very seriously.
Before moving any further, below are some eye-opening facts about child abuse that people everywhere need to know:
Approximately 90 percent of children who are victims of child abuse know the person abusing them. Approximately 85 percent of these children are abused by people related to them.
• Kersh Law Firm also shares that at any point in the U.S., a case of child abuse is reported or called in every 10 seconds.
• There are over 6.5 million reported cases of child abuse in the U.S. yearly.
• An average of five children die every day in the United States because of abuse and neglect, which is an incredibly and tragically high number, especially for a developed country.
• Anywhere between 650,000 to 750,000 children are victims of maltreatment in the U.S. annually.
• The people who need the most protection are infants and toddlers. Kersh Law Firm explains that children three years and below are the most vulnerable to forms of abuse and neglect. Each year, it is estimated that around 70 percent of fatalities brought on by child abuse and neglect are of children below three years old. Of these deaths, approximately 45 percent are children who have not reached their first year.
It’s a good thing that many Americans have joined in the battle against child abuse. Today, more people are aware of how to spot the signs and what to do in case they suspect child abuse, says Kersh Law Firm. A lot of citizens have even gone beyond calling and reporting cases to the nearest child protective services agency, forming groups similar to neighborhood watches to spot victims and perpetrators of child abuse.
As for the legal aspect of child abuse when it comes to child custody cases, there are a number of blogs where Kersh Law Firm expounds further on the matter.
As a family law practice, Kersh Law Firm, P.C., aids individuals to work through a difficult time while negotiating for the best outcomes for its clients. The firm’s mission involves educating clients on what is legally possible and helping them reach an agreement with the opposing party.
Tags: child abuse, child neglect, combatting child abuse